Music Monday [4]: Farao and "Devil's Backbone"

No Comments
Wow, I haven't done a Music Monday in a really long while! So today I'll be sharing two new picks with you as a sort of comeback.

First up is Farao, a UK-based indie artist whose haunting voice and chilling atmosphere make for some really great music. I found Farao through Maggie Stiefvater's Tumblr, because I pretty much trust Maggie Stiefvater's taste in almost all areas. A writer that great is going to be able to appreciate good music, right?

Anyway.



The first of Farao's songs that I listened to was "The Hours", and oh man. Oh man. Shivers all around. Farao's voice has a quiet depth and power that took me totally by surprise, and the background instrumentals are basically the best thing ever.

Another one of Farao's songs that I found was "Tell a Lie" - and again, more ethereal and wonderful vocals and background. Feast your ears below:



The lyrics are also absolutely stunning, if you listen closely enough to catch them. These songs have so many stories inside of them, and I'll be sure to pick them clean for inspiration in the future.

The second pick is a song by The Civil Wars called "Devil's Backbone". The simple, soft harmonies of the vocals in this are breathtaking, and the climax that the song climbs to is bone-shaking and gorgeous. I believe I came across while listening to a fanmix for the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series (one of my all-time favorites, by the way) and I immediately made note of it.

While it's not on Soundcloud (so I can't embed it, unfortunately), "Devil's Backbone" is on Spotify, for those of you who use that. (If you don't, I highly recommend it. I keep all my writing playlists there.)

So Spotify users should please listen to this beautiful song here: https://play.spotify.com/track/4qoD4IJbbir3hsAu4IowiG.

A snippet of the lyrics:

Oh Lord, Oh Lord, he’s somewhere between
A hangman’s knot, and three mouths to feed
There wasn’t a wrong or a right he could choose
He did what he had to do
Oh he did what he had to do

Yeah. Pretty in a mournful way, I suppose.

Add some beauty to your Monday with these songs - I hope you fall in love with them as much as I did!
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

I adore getting blog comments and am so grateful that you want to leave one! However, I'd like to ask that you please keep things respectful and spam-free. Thanks!