Book Review: Legend by Marie Lu

No Comments
Picture from libraryladyhylary.blogspot.com
Once known as the western coast of the United States, the Republic is now a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors, the Colonies.


Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a military prodigy. Obedient, passionate, and committed to her country, she is being groomed for success in the Republic's highest circles.


Born into the slums of the Republic's Lake Sector, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.


From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered, and Day becomes the prime suspect. Now, caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June tries desperately to avenge Metias's death.


But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths to which their country will go to keep its secrets.


Very good. *enthusiastic applause and cheering* This is one of those great books that no one's ever heard of. I know, I know, yet another dystopian novel. But this one's actually a real standout. (Love the cover too.) What I love is the contrast between June and Day's two worlds and the Republic's subtlety in being a dystopia.

June and Day are complete opposites, but they work so well together because of their mutual geniusness (Yeah, I know, I know, not a real word, but whatever.). Day is a criminal, June is devoted to fighting them, etc. etc. It's apparently based on Les Miserables, which I haven't read yet.

Plain and simple, I loved this. A lot. One of my favorite books, I think. Will look for next book. Feeling too lazy to write in complete sentences or do more analysis... :)
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

I adore getting blog comments and am so grateful that you want to leave one! However, I'd like to ask that you please keep things respectful and spam-free. Thanks!