Book Review: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

No Comments
Picture from librariannextdoor.com
*SPOILER ALERT - DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ HEX HALL - WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE ANYWAY? GO READ HEX HALL!!*

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (a.k.a. witches, shapeshifters, and faeries). But then she discovered the family secret, and the fact that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.


Turns out, Sophie's a demon, one of only two in the world - the other being her father. What's worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will either destroy her powers for good - or kill her.


But once Sophie arrives, she makes a shocking discovery. Her new housemates? They're demons too. Meaning, someone is raising demons in secret, with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Archer to do it. but it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


So yeah, that pretty much spoiled half of Hex Hall for you quite nicely. This is the blurb on the inside jacket of the book. I've decided to source them from the inside jacket of the book now. Those seem to be more reliable. But I digress.

Demonglass was kind of disappointing. The climax was not that great, and the whole thing about the Casnoffs suddenly seizing control of the Council was unrealistic. However, the interesting thing about involving demons in a supernatural fiction book is probably going to keep me on.

Sophie Mercer was as snarky and sarcastic as ever. Except she would notice it every few paragraphs, which was annoying. Also I hated how weak she was being, not telling anyone all of those secrets weighing down her mind. It was like, oh, I should tell Jenna or Dad something about this, but I just can't face them and I don't feel like it, so I won't.

Archer Cross? I'm really getting to hate him now. Unreasonable, not even funny anymore, gaaahhhh!!!!!!! I mean, Cal totally deserves Sophie more!!! And I'm screaming this throughout the book!!!!! (Yes, Cal is betrothed to Sophie. Interesting, huh?

This review is rife with spoilers. I'll just give it a 3 of 5 and call it good. *bleh*
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

I adore getting blog comments and am so grateful that you want to leave one! However, I'd like to ask that you please keep things respectful and spam-free. Thanks!